Claire Nazar graduated from the University of Leicester, U.K. (LLB. Hons) in 1995 and was called to the English Bar as a Barrister in England and Wales (Lincoln’s Inn) in 1998. She was called to the Singapore Bar in 2000.
With 20 years of legal experience in private practice, Claire has wide experience in commercial law, ranging from transactional commercial work to High Court and appellate litigation work. Claire’s experience as General Counsel in Singapore public-listed companies in the shipping, logistics and hotel industries and as legal counsel in a French offshore bank in Singapore, has given her a keen insight into the corporate needs of MNCs as well as SMCs in private practice. Claire’s areas of practice include:
- Corporate and commercial, both domestic and cross-border transactions, general corporate and regulatory matters, corporate reorganisations and restructurings, employment and HR Policies and Procedures
- Start-up businesses / companies / joint ventures, negotiating and drafting commercial arrangements and documentation, agency and distribution, e-commerce transactions / agreements
- Investment-related agreements including investors rights agreements, subscription agreements, vesting agreements, joint venture agreements, shareholders’ agreements, directorship agreements, business sale agreements, partnership agreements, confidentiality agreements, exclusive dealing agreements
- General: tenancy agreements, hire purchase agreements, franchising, leasing, distributorships, licensing agreements, registration of trademarks and intellectual property rights, settlement agreements
- Charities & non-profit organisations
- Commercial litigation include insolvency, debt recovery, breach of directors’ duties, breach of contract issues, breach of tenancy issues and issues related to the above.
- Reported High Court cases:
- Natferrous Pte Ltd v Tradelink Hardware Pte Ltd  SGHC 131
- Sin Leng Industries Pte Ltd v Ong Chai Teck and Others  SGHC 25
On the community front, Claire has a passion for social justice and regularly conducts public education talks on the law as well as conducting family life education as part of her volunteer work with various government bodies, giving regular media interviews on government initiatives promoting personal work-life balance, family and marriage. In 2019, she was presented the MSF Outstanding Volunteer Award 2019 by Minister Desmond Lee for the Ministry of Social and Family Development Singapore.